Career Directions Inventory
Roadmap To A Satisfying Career
The Career Directions Inventory (CDI) is a flexible, cost-effective tool designed to facilitate educational and career exploration. The CDI is suitable for a wide spectrum of the population, not only those headed for post-secondary education or a professional career. The CDI can be used for career and educational counseling for high school, college, and university students, career planning for adults, career transitions, and career exploration in a wide variety of fields, including business, professional, service, and technical occupations. The CDI identifies an individual's unique interest pattern and matches those interests to academic and career paths. CDI is an accurate, easy to understand, gender-fit assessment with broad applicability to business, service, professional and technical occupations.
Measures 15 Basic Interest Scales
– Administration, Assertive, Food Service, Health Service, Personal Service, Sales, Systematic Writing, Art, Clerical, Industrial Arts, Outdoors, Persuasive, Science, Teaching/Social Service
CDI consists of 100 sets of three equally popular job-related statements, requiring an individual to choose the most and least preferred activity. The manual provides strong support for the reliability and validity of the CDI.
Detailed CDI reports direct individuals to the most fulfilling career and provides lists of specific occupations, career related books, professional organizations, and internet links.
• Clients needing career guidance at all levels of training and education
• Clients who want to see a wide variety of career options that require varying degrees of education and training
• Counselors who prefer to handle interpretation
• Software or mail-in administration and report
The CDI can be administered on SigmaSoft CDI for Windows. The software is installed on your own computer and reports can be generated immediately. Results are presented using graphs, numbers, scale descriptions, and career information that is insightful and easy to understand.
- The CDI employs a forced-choice format asking respondents to indicate the most preferred and least preferred activities from three options. This format offers an improvement over Likert rating scales as it minimizes susceptibility to response bias and helps the test taker discriminate between career interests. Using forced-choice format eliminates this source of response bias.
- Choosing a career is one of the most important decisions a person can make. The CDI simplifies the career planning process by matching an individual’s unique set of interests with a wide variety of related careers and occupations. The CDI has been designed as a flexible and low-cost career planning resource.
- The CDI report presents easy-to-understand profiles, as well as descriptions of the Basic Interest Scales, and General Occupational Themes. The report helps to facilitate career exploration with detailed explanations of the top three job clusters that match an individual’s patterns of interest. This section also provides lists of specific occupations with corresponding O*NET or NOC codes, and helpful resources such as books, professional organizations, and websites related to the individual’s top career interests.
Qualification Level: A
Administer to: 14 years old and older
Administration time: 30 minutes
Number of items: 100 items
Scoring Options: Mail-in/Software
Report Length: Extended - 20 pages
Additional Languages: French version available for: Q & A Booklets, Mail-in Extended Report
For more information or a quotation for this product, please contact us: We're happy to provide sample questions, reports, or validity information if available for most of the titles that are showcased on this site.
Please be aware that, due to international law or Copyright restrictions, it is not always possible to provide samples of questionnaires or information that may constitute intellectual property, trade secrets, or other proprietary information.